Alex & Claire’s heart-felt backyard wedding was spectacular. Full of love, emotion, laughter and cute mementos from their lives brought together. They filled their space with games, snacks, a cooler that was consistently full of local brews, and an incredible food truck! I thought I would take things from their special day and break down why they work so well in 3 tips for a sentimental backyard wedding!
Claire & Alex were supposed to have a big formal event this year like so many other couples but unfortunately had to change plans due to COVID and COVID restrictions. Many couples decided to postpone their wedding, and a select few kept their original date and went for a small intimate event. Claire and Alex decided to do a small backyard wedding this year! They went ahead and planned a small, intimate backyard wedding that was COVID friendly with close friends and family!
3 Tips for a Sentimental Backyard Wedding
- Filling a cooler with local and craft drinks is a fun way to add flair to an intimate backyard wedding. It’s easy to go and grab a 24 pack of whatever beer everyone will like but to make things feel special mix and match different Ontarian beers and wines. Grab some IPA’s, session ales, sours, ciders and more so people can try something new!
2. Tables were sectioned apart from each other but were facing the centre so no one had their back to the group. It was really well thought out and made for a relaxing and fun evening! I highly recommend this for a micro wedding. Keep the tables in a more circular manner so everyone can see and visit with each other without having to move around too much!
3. The ceremony was really close to golden hour, so the backyard was lit perfectly. I would recommend doing this for a small wedding! It’s easier to plan a ceremony at a slightly later time when it’s a small event and it will ensure for extra stunning photos! For example, no one will need sunglasses or be half in the sun!
These two sprinkled in so many beautiful items and things that held meaning to them.
Most importantly was their arbour. Claire has a family cottage that she loves dearly. Alex planned, behind her back, with her families help to go up to the cottage collect pieces of wood from around the area and build an arbour with it. It was so special for him to do that. It added character and meaning to their ceremony site. When he told Claire during the ceremony there wasn’t a dry eye to be found.
Also fun fact, the car that we took pictures with has a cameo in X-Men!
- Food Truck – Big D’s Dog House
- Florist – Floral Envy
- Groom Tie – RW&CO
- Groom Suit – Indochino
- Dress – Park & Fifth
- Make-Up Artist – Jacquie K
- Engagement Ring – Ottawa Moissanite
- Earrings – Harvest Creations
- Bride Shoes – Steve Madden
- Groom Shoes – Globo
It was such a heartfelt day shared with loved ones! I am so happy to finally share some images and can’t wait for their celebration next year!